Sunday, September 28, 2014

The week where no one has any idea what is going on...

Hola familia and amigos!!!

I'm a missionary, what up
Well, I've officially been here for a little over three days now. Really? Three days - that's it?!? It feels like I've been here FOREVER. I'm sure all my RM friends will get a good laugh out of that, because they know exactly what I'm talking about. Did I even have another life before I got here? Is this even real?

Ok, before I go any further, I just have to say I'm a little disappointed here. I've been here three days, and I have no mail and just two emails... Come on guys, I KNOW you can do better than that!!! ;) But, seriously...

While I'm here in the MTC, dearelder.com is the best way to write me (my unit is 804 and my departure date is NOV 03 :D). It's free AND I get the letter really quickly. I don't have to wait until preparation day (our teacher is really trying to get us to avoid saying P-day) to get those letters. Our district leader checks our mail twice a day and I can take those letters home with me to read over and over and over. Maybe this sounds really selfish asking for all these notes, but I can't even BEGIN to tell you how nice a little note of encouragement is. Because, believe it or not, this is really hard. Like the hardest thing I've ever done. It is so so awesome and it's just going to continue getting even more awesome, but it is so so hard and will continue being hard the whole time I am serving. In the words of Elder Holland, "missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience." I didn't really have any expectations coming in, since I had no idea what to expect, but it is harder than I ever imagined.

Ok, enough with the heavy stuff. I'll tell you a little bit about what it's like here. So I live on the West Campus (formerly Raintree and Wyview student housing). I live in Wyview and have class in Raintree. It's a little weird/funny to me. I used to use Raintree's pool all the time. It was my favorite pool!! Now there is no pool. No swimming for missionaries!! All the Spanish missionaries live on the West Campus. In about four weeks though, they are moving everyone back to the main campus (where you dropped me off, mom and dad). So I get a practice transfer I guess!

My cute compy and I
My companion's name is Hermana Kroska. She's 19 and from Minnesota. Oh my gosh, my entire zone are BABIES!! They are so young! The Sister Training Leader is my age and graduated from BYU this April too. Everyone else is like 18 or 19. Totes adorbs. I'm like a little grandma, haha. Anyway, back to my companion. She's such a sweetheart. We were definitely meant to be compys. If one of us is having a hard time, the other one is able to lift up the other. It's great. This will be a great companionship.

Compy and I :)
I'm in the intermediate Spanish class. My teacher, Brother Hammond - who is so great, BTW - said I could probably test into the advanced class and leave in 12 days... yeah, better not (said with an Australian accent). One, I think my mother would have a heart attack if she knew I were leaving that soon. Two, I need A LOT of practice. Like a lot a lot. Especially with this whole teaching thing. Yikes. We taught our first lesson yesterday to Jared (pronounced Har-ed). He's not really an investigator, but he portrays an investigator that he knows. He's actually our second teacher, but we're not supposed to know that yet. Our zone leader told us, and we accidentally discovered it in our online materials. Oops, haha. Anyway, I spent half the lesson wanting to laugh because it was going so terribly and I spent the other half wanting to cry because it was going so terribly! I keep telling myself it was only our first lesson and it can only get better from there, and it will. It's a little discouraging, but I really can't expect to be this great missionary from the get-go. I've got to put in the time and just keep trying. I can't wait to actually share a successful missionary story with you guys!!!

Ok, time is short. We get an hour on Saturdays to email. Everyone says your first week in the MTC is the slowest/hardest. After that you get into a normal routine and aren't running everywhere wondering what in the world you are doing (hence the title of this email). And time starts to fly. So hold on tight.

I love you all!! Muchos besitos!

Love,
Hermana Chipman

My cute little district... Elders Vavricka and Lyman, and Hna Kroska
"Silly" district pic
Normal district pic
El templo!! (I had her stand on the tall part)

No comments:

Post a Comment